Join us this Sunday as Dr. Kevin Passero and his special guest Christophe Merville, D. Pharm., discuss homeopathic remedies for spring: Arnicare for sore muscles, calendula for cuts and sunburn, and Sabadil/Optique for allergies and watery eyes.
Since 1990 Christophe Merville has been the Director of Education and Pharmacy Development for Boiron, the world’s leading manufacturer of homeopathic medicines. Dr. Merville has created training programs, both online and in print, for pharmacists and retailers on homeopathy and medicines available to treat common health conditions.
Tune in this Sunday from 10-11am on 1500 AM (WFED) or listen live on the web. Our shows are streamed everywhere.
Last week’s show was on LPP, an advanced lipoprotein test for better cardiovascular risk assessment.
Click to listen.
Once the warm weather starts, my husband and I pack up the kids and head to our little sanctuary up north. There is bound to be something left behind with the numerous trips we make, but I always make sure that these five items are in my purse or diaper bag before the car rolls of out of the driveway.
1. Sunscreen: I have talked about this many times, but Badger Unscented SPF 30 sunscreen is the best sunscreen for my kids. It is a bit thick, since zinc oxide is the main ingredient, but the protection it provides is worth it. Even my little girl, who inherited by husbands’s English/Irish complexion, stays burn-free with this product. Since we are outdoors most of the time, this is a must!
2. Insect repellent: Did I mention that the mosquito is the area’s national animal?! Wearing light-colored clothing and covering as much possible helps, but we also spray Quantum Buzzaway Insect Repellent to help keep these pesky insects away. Made with essential oils, it is even safe to use on my 1-year-old. Continue reading “My 5 “Must Haves” for Weekend Getaways”
Most people have a first aid kit that includes bandaids, gauze, antibiotic cream and alcohol. But if you have furry friends in the house, you should also think of their needs in preparing a first aid kit. Minor cuts and scrapes can easily be treated at home, but if you fear there may be something else, like a break, take your pet to a vet straight away.
Here are some essentials for your pet’s first aid kit:
- Homeopathic arnica 200c is an excellent remedy for bruises, contusions, sprains and strains. It helps dissipate bruising and speeds the recovery time. This should be given immediately after the trauma.
- Homeopathic hypericum 200c (St. John’s wort) has an affinity for nerves, especially in the fingers and toes as well as the tailbone. This should be given if there is any sharp trauma to the feet or the spine (for example, after a fall or if something sharp is stepped on).
- Homeopathic calendula 200c (marigold) is a good antiseptic and is excellent for the closure of wounds. This should be used in any situation where there is a cut on the body. Continue reading “First Aid for Your Pet”
As I have written before, the homeopathic remedy arnica montana is a staple in our house, and even more-so now that my son is 2 and fearless, which results in many bumps and bruises. But there are other homeopathic remedies that can be beneficial for an injury. Keep in mind that conventional treatment for injuries, like ice, compression and elevation, x-rays and castings are important, and in no way does homeopathy take the place of these treatments. What homeopathy does is add to the level of treatment. Here is a quick guide to some homeopathic remedies to help with injuries.
Hypericum: This is homeopathic St. John’s Wort and is used for nerve injuries. Think cuts to the fingertips or lips, areas that are rich in nerve endings. Even injuries to the spinal cord can benefit from hypericum.
Ledum: This one is great for puncture wounds. For example, if you stepped on a nail then you would want to take ledum (you may also need a tetanus shot!). Continue reading “Homeopathy for Boo-Boos!”