Whenever I visit my parents at this time of year, I raid their backyard garden. I’m always astonished at the bounty that such a small space can provide. Tomatoes, beans, onions, carrots, and zucchini are just a small sampling of what it offers. This year the cucumbers are also doing extremely well, and we are definitely getting our fill.
Although tasty sliced up in a salad, or even added to water for a refreshing drink, cucumbers are equally delicious when blended with spinach and some herbs for a cold summer soup.
Cucumbers offer a variety of health benefits.
- They are about 96% water, so they are an excellent source of hydration with the added bonus of being a low calorie food
- They have vitamin A, B vitamins, and vitamin C
- They lower uric acid levels in your system, keeping the kidneys happy
- A compound called sterols in cucumbers helps reduce bad cholesterol.
Cold Cucumber Soup
- 1 large unpeeled English cucumber
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves
- 3/4 cup parsley Continue reading “Dinner Tonight: Cold Cucumber Soup”