April is around the corner and hopefully so is the nice weather! This is a great time do some spring cleaning for your body, and not just your house. Cleanses can be difficult and limiting, but there are simple things that anyone can do to feel more energized and healthy. By following a cleanse filled with high fiber and nutrient-dense foods, you give your body the opportunity to “clean out the pipes.”
Here are some tips to get you on your way:
1. Skip the caffeine: Coffee and sodas are acidic, as well as act as diuretics. Instead of coffee, I recommend drinking herbal tea, green tea or white tea for the antioxidant effect and to help you get rid of any coffee withdrawal headaches.
2. Eat lots of colorful foods: Fruits and vegetables are high in fiber, filled with minerals, vitamins and plant chemicals called phytonutrients that prevent and even help treat disease.
3. Eat lean protein: Choices like egg whites, chicken, turkey, fish, soy and beans should be eaten at every meal or snack. Proteins secrete the hormone glucagon which helps in fat loss. Avoid red meat and dairy for 5 days of the week. Try to have a meatless Monday. (If you eat soy, look for organic products, since most non-organic soy is GMO, or genetically modified.)
4. Supplement: Add a high-quality multi-vitamin and probiotic containing acidophilus to your diet. Acidophilus is “friendly bacteria” that helps to maintain a healthy digestive microflora. Healthy digestion and absorption is one of the main keys to looking and feeling your best.
5. Add essential fats and oils: Fish oils, flaxseed oil, ground flaxseeds (especially freshly-ground, which you can do in a little electric grinder), olive oil, avocados, nuts and seeds all have anti-inflammatory properties. Plus, they can help keep you regular.
6. Drink eight glasses of water per day: Fresh clean water aids with elimination, helps to boost metabolism, gives you a full feeling longer and helps to keep energy up.
If you find it difficult to follow all 6 tips at once, start with one and add one every week.