Dry, flaky, itchy skin is common, but even more so in the winter because there is less humidity in the cool air, causing the natural moisture in your body to evaporate more quickly. Even the heat in the house can contribute to the dryness and itchiness.
So here are some tips for soothing dry, itchy winter skin:
1. Exfoliate. Gently brush your body with a dry loofah or dry skin brush before you turn on the shower. This will help get rid of dead skin cells that can cause that flaky look. It also helps your skin pores breathe.
2. Turn down the heat in the shower. Long hot showers strip the body of its natural moisturizing oils. Cooler, shorter showers may not feel great in the moment but will be better for your skin in the long run.
3. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Keep a bottle of almond oil or jojoba oil right in the shower and apply it all over your skin as soon as you turn the water off. Towel off gently and then apply a rich cream all over your body. My favorites are Egyptian Magic and plain organic Coconut Oil.
4. Drink plenty of water. Making sure you are hydrated on the inside is equally important. Aim for 8 to 10 glasses of water per day.
5. Supplement. Omega 3 contains eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) which is essential for healthy skin and hair. EPA helps regulate oil production in your skin.
6. Humidify. A humidifier adds moisture to the air to prevent dryness that can cause irritation in many parts of the body. Humidifiers can be particularly effective for treating dry skin, nose, throat, and lips.
Photo from here, with thanks.