Looking for healthy plant-based recipes to add to your celebration? The Physicians Committee has you covered! Watch the video below to see a healthful twist on a Hanukkah staple: latkes! These plant-based Sweet Potato Latkes are free of oil and packed with fiber and antioxidants. Top with applesauce to make them extra sweet!
Sweet Potato Latkes
Makes 16 Servings
• 3 Tbsp. water
• 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
• 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered (about 4 1/2 cups)
• 1/2 onion, peeled
• 1/3 cup quick cooking oats
• 1/3 cup oat flour
• 1 tsp. garlic powder
• 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika or chopped sage
• 1/2 tsp. salt
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flaxseed and water. Mix well. Let rest for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Using a food processor or box grater, grate sweet potatoes and onions.
- Place onions on a piece of cheesecloth or several paper towels and squeeze out any excess liquid.
- Place grated onion and sweet potato in a large bowl. Add oats, oat flour, paprika or sage, garlic powder, salt and flaxseed mixture.
- Mix well with your hands.
- Fill a measuring cup (1/4 cup) with mixture, until the mixture nearly reaches the top and press lightly. Flip the cup onto a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and press down with measuring cup to form the latke. Repeat with the rest of the mix.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Serve with applesauce.
Photo from here, with thanks.