Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 (HSV-1) is the normally inactive virus that causes those unsightly outbreaks around your nose, mouth, lips or chin. During times when our are immune system is down because we are under stress, or from overexposure to sun, or when we fail to eat a healthy nutrient-dense, well balanced diet, this virus can become active in our nervous system, causing painful cold sore outbreaks.
Here are some tips for taking care of cold sores:
- Lysine: This amino acid can slow the replication of the virus. Take 500mg to 1000mg up to 4 times per day.
- Olive Leaf Extract: This herb provides antiviral support. Take 1000mg twice per day.
- Vitamin C with bioflavanoids: Boost your immune system by taking 2 to 3 grams per day.
- Do not touch the cold sore. Touching it can cause it to become infected, plus the virus is highly contagious.
- Tea Tree Oil: Applying with a Q-tip can help reduce infection.
If you are prone to cold sores, here are some preventative tips:
- Vitamin D: 2000IU per day boosts and strengthens the immune system.
- Probiotics: These beneficial bacteria can help maintain immunity.
- B-Complex: If you are under a lot of stress, B vitamins can nourish and support the nervous system.
- Get at least 7 -8 hours of sleep per night to avoid the stress and immune suppression caused by sleep deprivation.
- Apply a lip balm with high SPF to your lips before heading out the door.