Medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) are a unique fatty acid (healthy fat) naturally found in coconut oil. These fatty acids are quickly digested, absorbed and converted into energy for the body and brain. Incorporating MCTs into the diet helps to provide a sustainable energy source, as well as a multitude of other health benefits.
MCTs are healthy fats and are metabolized differently than LTC (long-chain-triglycerides). How? Well, all dietary fats are molecules composed of individual carbon atoms linked together as chains ranging from 2 to 22 carbon atoms. The shorter the chain, the easier and more quickly it is to absorb, digest and utilize for health benefits. The Standard American Diet is mostly comprised of unhealthy long-chain triglycerides (12-18 carbon atoms). Medium-chain triglycerides contain 6-10 carbon atoms, which are more efficiently absorbed and the most effective in providing an alternate fuel source known as ketones. MCTs can bypass the digestive system and are not stored as fat in the body; instead they are rapidly absorbed and utilized as energy for the brain and body.
Some of the benefits of MCTs include:
• Providing quick energy.
• May help burn fat more efficiently, thereby eliminating the body’s need to store excess fat and aiding in weight loss.
• Easily convert to ketones, which pass through the blood-brain barrier to support brain cells and cognitive function.
• Supporting cardiovascular health and function.
• Can increase fat burning during exercise, while also decreasing lactic acid buildup.
• Have a positive effect on balancing blood glucose levels, showing to be effective
at managing hyperglycemia and diabetes.
This is why we have introduced a new product, Pathway MCT Oil Powder. The short-chained MCTs found in Pathway MCT Oil Powder are classified C8 and C10. These specific MCT chains produce increased ketones in the body, resulting in more readily available energy. Pathway MCT Oil Powder also contains prebiotic acacia for enhanced gut health.
Pathway MCT Oil Powder is mild in flavor, making it easy to add to your daily regimen. There are also many ways to boost your daily beverages/food with MCT oil powder. Here are some suggestions:
• Coffee – try adding MCT to your coffee creamer for an extra creamy and nutritious beverage.
• Tea – especially in matcha teas.
• Smoothies – add into any smoothie to enhance the fat content to help boost energy.
• Homemade protein bars – add to help sustain energy levels.
• Oatmeal – try adding a tablespoon to your hot or overnight oats for an added energy boost in the morning, and for extra creaminess.