When you are always on the go, it can seem difficult to get in healthy meals. But with a little planning, you can take some shortcuts to stress-free and nutritious meals, like this carrot and sweet potato smoothie. This is perfect for a quick and easy and on-the-go healthy meal that will power you through the afternoon.
Recent studies have found that people who cooked their meals at home had an easier time getting in more fruits, vegetables, whole grains and good quality proteins, and saved money while they were at it, compared to people who ate out more often.
The key to making this recipe easy and quick is prepping the main ingredients and freezing them in individual containers. Then all you do is take them out, add your liquid, blend and go! This smoothie provides a perfect balance of energizing carbs, satiating protein, and healthy fats.
Carrot and Sweet Potato Smoothie
• 2 medium-sized carrots, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch chunks
• 1 large orange bell pepper, seeds removed and quartered
• 2 oranges, peeled and quartered
• 2 large ripe bananas, peeled and chopped into 1 inch chunks
• 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
• 8 Tbsp hemp hearts
• 4 cups almond milk (or any milk you prefer), divided
• 2 cups plain Greek-style yogurt, divided
Divide carrots, bell pepper, oranges, bananas, ginger and hemp hearts among 4 airtight freezer containers; seal shut; and place in the freezer.
When you are ready for your smoothie, add 1 cup of milk and 1/2 cup yogurt to one smoothie pack and blend until smooth. You can add more liquid if you want a thinner smoothie.
Photo from here, with thanks.