Many factors affect the health of your heart and your circulatory system, many of which are fortunately within our control – even if you have a family history of heart issues.
The cardiovascular system consists of the heart and approximately 60,000 miles of blood vessels, called arteries and veins. The heart pumps blood around the body. The vessels nourish cells by transporting nutrients and waste products through the blood, around the body. Any interruption in blood supply, for example a heart attack or stroke, causes tissue death, so the maintenance of a healthy cardiovascular system is essential.
Most cardiovascular disease occurs due to lifestyle factors such as:
- Obesity, poor nutrition, and medication usage
- Free radical damage due to environmental toxins or smoking
- Stress or poor emotional health
- Lack of exercise
Luckily, adopting a healthier lifestyle and using natural therapies can help strengthen and protect your heart. Here are some things that you can do:
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Consume a heart-friendly diet
- Stop smoking and limit your exposure to environmental toxins
- Use stress reduction techniques and improve your emotional health
- Make regular exercise part of your daily routine
- Supplement your diet with nutrients that support the heart, especially if you take medications that deplete essential nutrients
Folic acid, vitamin B-12 and vitamin B-6 support healthy blood homocysteine levels. Green tea extract contains a potent antioxidant, EGCG. L-carnitine plays a role in energy production for cardio health. CoQ10 can also help support heart function, and this important nutrient is often depleted due to medications. Pathway Cardio Plus contains all of these and more heart-supportive nutrients. To learn more, contact a nutritional expert at Village Green at 1-800-869-9159.