Good quality, restorative sleep is one of the keys to good health. Unfortunately, all too many of us don’t get the quality and quantity of sleep that we need. Here are some tips to help you sleep more soundly, especially if you suffer from allergies or other sinus issues.
1. Every few weeks put your pillow in the dryer for 10 minutes to kill dust mites that can exacerbate allergies and asthma symptoms.
2. Don’t keep books and magazines in the area where you sleep, as they may contain dirt, dust, or even mold, which can cause congestion and trigger allergy symptoms.
3. Your mattress is a favorite place for dust and microscopic dust mites. Using a mattress cover can help keep these allergens in check.
4. Change your furnace/AC filters frequently to keep dirty filters from blowing pollutants into your air.
5. Vacuum your rugs frequently, or if you are extremely sensitive to allergens, remove them from your bedroom completely. This is especially helpful for asthma conditions. Wipe down surfaces at least once per week.
6. When it’s dry, humidify. The air easily becomes extra dry, particularly in the winter when your furnace is blowing warm air. You’ll sleep better if you have a humidifier creating the right environment for your sinuses.
7. Our sinus expert, Dr. Rav Ivker, recommends taking 400-500 mg of Magnesium Glycinate an hour before bedtime. It’s a natural sleep agent and can also help to free sinuses while you sleep.
Photo from here, with thanks.