Apparently, “Don’t worry be happy” should be everyone’s motto. A study by Canadian researchers published in the European Heart Journal found that people who are happy, content and joyful have healthier hearts. What they actually found was that over 10 years, being positive, decreased heart disease by 22%.
One theory about why this is so is that people who are happier may have longer periods of rest and relaxation and recover more quickly from stress. Here are some tips that may lead to happiness that I found on www.lifehack.org:
- Make a plan for attaining goals that you believe will make you happy. Your mood will very likely increase as your pursue your goals because you will feel better about yourself for going after something you value.
- Surround yourself with happy people. It is easy to begin to think negatively when you are surrounded by people who think that way. When something goes wrong, try to figure out a solution instead of wallowing in self pity.
- Happy people don’t allow set backs to affect their mood because they know that with a little thought, they can turn the circumstances back to their favor
- Spend a few minutes each day thinking about the things that make you happy. These few minutes will give you the opportunity to focus on the positive things in your life and will lead you to continued happiness.
- It’s also important to take some time each day to do something nice for yourself. Whether you treat yourself to lunch, take a long, relaxing bath or simply spend a few extra minutes on your appearance, you will be subconsciously putting yourself in a better mood.
- Finding the humor in situations can also lead to happiness. While there are times that require you to be serious, when it is appropriate, find a way to make light of a situation that would otherwise make you unhappy.
- Maintaining your health is another way to achieve happiness. Being overweight or not eating nutritious foods can have a negative effect on your mood. Additionally, exercise has been known to release endorphins that give you a feeling of happiness.