It seems like all it takes is one child to come home from school with sniffles, and then the rest of the household catches it, too. Cold and flu season is definitely upon us. Being prepared can play a huge part in how well you feel. Follow simple steps like keeping hydrated, getting enough sleep, practicing good stress management, good hygiene, and eating a well-balanced diet.
The following five tips are additional supports to strengthen your immune system. They are best used when you are just starting to feel sick, as they can help your body get on top of it and fight back quicker and stronger. Consult with your doctor and our nutrition experts to get the right supplements for you.
1. Vitamins and minerals: Vitamins A, C, and D are natural immune boosters and antioxidants. Supplement your diet with these vitamins in the form of a multivitamin for everyday support. Supplement with extra when you are feeling sick. Zinc is a natural antiviral, and taken as a lozenge, helps relieve a sore throat.
2. Probiotics: Probiotics restore the balance of healthy bacteria in your gut. Probiotics occur naturally in cultured foods such as sauerkraut, kimchi and yogurt, and in certain fermented drinks such as kefir and kombucha. Not a huge consumer of these products? Taking a probiotic supplement like Pathway Suprema Dophilus will help.
3. Herbs: Garlic, thyme and oregano are not just pizza toppings, they are naturally antimicrobial, which means they’ll kill the bad microorganisms that are trying to attack. They’re great to cook with, have in tea, or ingest through oil or supplements.
4. Echinacea: Research shows that echinacea increases the number of white blood cells to fight infection.
5. Fluids: Clear broth, tea, and water carry nutrients throughout your body, clear waste, aid digestion, and regulate body temperature.
Be well and stay well this winter!
Photo from here, with thanks.