Steaks, sausages and hamburgers on the grill are almost synonymous with Father’s Day when the perfect meal comes to mind. But many men are jumping on the meatless bandwagon for various reasons, including a healthier lifestyle. Even going meatless one day per week can have benefits for your dad and everyone around him.
By eating less meat and more veggies you…
1. Cut down or even cut out potentially dangerous processed meats.
2. Decrease heart disease risk.
3. Increase vitamins, minerals and fiber in your diet, which improve overall health.
4. Can help save the planet. It is estimated that livestock contribute to 14.5% of global human-caused greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) including one-third of methane emissions, which is one type of GHG.
5. Can eat some seriously delicious food.
So for Father’s Day, treat him to a healthy vegetarian meal that even the most meat-loving members of the family will enjoy. This recipe offers heartiness and flavor. Oh, did I mention… beer!
Beer Bean Chili
• 1 1/2 cups dried black beans
• 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
• 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 1 Tbsp minced chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce (you can find this in the Latin section of your grocery store) or 1 tsp chili powder
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp dried thyme
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 large yellow onion, chopped
• 1 large carrot, chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 red bell pepper, chopped
• 1 cup frozen corn
• 2 celery stalks, sliced
• 1 cup porter or stout beer
• 2 Tbsp tomato paste
• 1 ripe avocado, diced
• 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Place the beans in large bowl, cover with water, and let them soak for several hours or even overnight. After soaking the beans, throw everything (except the avocado and cilantro) in a crockpot on high for 4 hours or low for 6 to 8 hours! Serve garnished with avocado and cilantro.
Happy Father’s Day!
Photo from here, with thanks.