Oh, zucchini. It is one of my favorite summer vegetables. (I think I say that about all summer vegetables.) But this squash IS currently my favorite since my mother dropped off a large zucchini yesterday and I promptly turned it into a gluten-free raw zucchini pad thai.
Zucchini is part of the summer squash family. One cup of zucchini only has 36 calories, but is chock-full of nutrition. It contains 10% of the RDA of dietary ﬁber, and is a great source of folate, vitamin C and vitamin A, potassium, and 19% of the RDA for manganese, a trace mineral that helps the body metabolize protein and carbohydrates, participates in the production of sex hormones, and catalyzes the synthesis of fatty acids and cholesterol.
This great alternative to wheat pasta can be combined with any vegetable that can be eaten raw for a quick, tasty meal.
Zucchini Pad Thai
• 1 large zucchini (or 4 small zucchini), spiral sliced or shaved
• 1 large carrot, spiral sliced or shaved
• 3 green onions, thinly sliced
• 1 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
• 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
• 1/4 cup raw almond butter
• 2 tsp minced fresh red Thai chili
• 3 Tbsp orange juice
• 2 Tbsp lime juice
• 1 Tbsp low-sodium tamari
• 1 Tbsp raw honey
• 1 tsp grated fresh ginger root
• Water, to thin
In a medium bowl, whisk together all sauce ingredients, thinning with water until desired consistency, if necessary. To serve, combine zucchini, carrots, and cilantro into a big bowl and toss with the sauce!
Photo from here, with thanks.