There is something about fresh herbs and raw vegetables that just say summer to me. Especially basil… does anything smell better than basil?
I tried this recipe after a friend posted a picture of it on her Facebook page. It sounded fresh and light, perfect for those hot days when you don’t want to turn on the oven or the barbeque.
The recipe combines raw zucchini that has been cut into strips with a pesto made from pumpkin seeds, basil, garlic and lemon juice. She used a spiralizer for the zucchini, a machine that can turn any vegetable into something that resembles spaghetti.I used a vegetable peeler, so my “noodles” were a little wider and flatter. But I believe the end result was just as tasty.
Another great thing about this recipe is that it is gluten free and vegan! Try it and let me know what you think.
This serves two.
- 2 zucchini
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 1/2 handfuls basil
- 0-2 cloves of garlic (depending on how much you love garlic)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2-3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. To make noodles, simply peel long strips of zucchini until reaching the center. Discard the seedy core.
2. For the sauce, combine the pumpkin seeds, basil, garlic, lemon juice, and salt in a food processor. Turn the processor on and slowly pour in the olive oil until the ingredients blend into a smooth paste.
3. Toss the pesto with the noodles. Serve cold or at room temperature with extra veggies like “noodle” carrots or cherry tomatoes.