Spring is the perfect time to start fresh and cleanse yourself of all things toxic. Toxins are everywhere and wreak havoc on us physically, mentally and emotionally. Here are 7 ways to detox from the areas where toxins are likely to be impacting you the most.
1. Foods: Nutrient void, chemical laden, processed “sub foods” have little nutrient value and are keeping us overweight, addicted, inflamed and frustrated with the way we look and feel. Imagine how you’d feel if you detoxed from “Frankenfoods” that were loaded in chemicals and stripped of their vital nutrients? Imagine how you’d feel if you detoxed from products high in sugar, or the unhealthy fat found in trans fats, vegetable oils and hydrogenated oils? How would you feel if you detoxed from an addiction to soda, candy or caffeine? Consider how much better your body would perform without the steroids and antibiotics found in most dairy products, or if you eliminated GMOs (genetically modified organisms) from your eating plan? What we eat is at the root of what’s creating health and wellness or illness and disease. If your diet is filled with unhealthy chemicals, preservatives, sugar and more, it’s impossible to look, feel and perform at your best. So what do you include?
Include: Whole, real, nutrient-dense foods. Choose not to eat anything from a package or box. If it has a label, check to see if there are ingredients that sound like a lab experiment and consider what these ingredients are doing once they’re inside of you! Become a savvy label reader or better yet, stick to things your grandmother would have cooked with or would have recognized as food. Do you think she would have added butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA, added to prevent spoilage) to her apple pie or would she just have encouraged you to have a slice when it was fresh out of the oven?
2. Products: Cleaning products and beauty products can be loaded with harsh chemicals and detergents. They can contribute to long-term health effects, such as cancer, asthma, reproductive disorders, hormone disruption, and neurotoxicity. The foaming agents found in chemicals like diethanolamine (DEA) and triethanolamine (TEA) can form nitrosamines, which act as carcinogens that penetrate the skin. So what can we do?
Include: Greener options and products that are chemical free. Think about it: if it says “danger,” “poison” or “hazardous to humans and domestic animals” on the label, isn’t that a sign we shouldn’t be using it?
3. People: If you surround yourself with people who are negative, critical, judgmental and pessimistic, can you really be surprised if you feel deflated, depleted and uninspired? If your group is gossiping about the latest breakup, spending their time complaining about their lives (while doing nothing to improve them) or criticizing others for what they have (while they may secretly want those same things), is it any wonder why you may feel stagnant, unmotivated and not feel very good about yourself? So what do you do?
Include: Surround yourself with people who are supportive, inspiring, loving and kind. Join groups with like-minded positive people, network to expand your circle and steer clear of the naysayers and energy vampires. Can’t find these positive, like-minded people? Start reading and learning about inspiring people, then find out where others who read these same books and learn from these same people hang out. Maybe there’s a conference, class or online forum? It’s been said that we’re the 5 people we spend the most time with. Find those that uplift you, support you and encourage you to be the best and highest version or yourself and watch your best self emerge.
4. Media (TV, print): Any media that has you feeling tense, anxious, fearful and afraid is keeping your stress response turned on and will create physical, mental and emotional wear and tear. Is it really necessary to know about the celebrity club fight, plastic surgery or cheating partner? These images do nothing to boost our confidence, self-esteem or personal development while having us feel “less than,” not as beautiful, not as wealthy or not good enough in some way.
Include: Commit to watching or reading any media that promotes a healthier, happier self. There are plenty of channels where you can learn how to cook, decorate, learn about a different culture, striving entrepreneur or heroic story. What we feed our minds, we become, so be careful about what you’re allowing into your awareness, into your subconscious… and into your life.
5. Thoughts: Negative thoughts like I’m so fat, dumb, lazy or unlovable keep us safe, stuck and small. Is it any wonder why we’re not going for that new opportunity, why we’re not speaking to that potential partner or why we’re accepting less than we deserve because of the negative self-talk we play in a continuous tape-loop in our head? So what can you do?
Include: Commit to including more empowering thoughts like: “I’m working towards a healthier body each day,” or “I’m smarter than I give myself credit for,” or “I’m not lazy, I just don’t like doing that task!” Think better and bolder thoughts and you’ll become better and bolder.
6. Water: So many chemicals can be found in our water and if that’s not bad enough, think about this: medications, toxic cleaning products, waste and other things we shouldn’t be having are polluting our water too. What can we do to detox from this dangerous waste?
Include: Use a water filter – whether it’s a filtered water bottle, filtered water pitcher, or an entire home filtration system. The more clear, clean, filtered water you use, the better.
7. Sleep: Loud or stimulating TV, chaotic or cluttered surroundings, as well as light coming from your alarm clock, computer and phone can all disrupt deep, restorative and rejuvenating sleep. How can you detox from a toxic bedroom?
Include: Make your bedroom calm, serene, cool, dark and comfortable. A hot bath, warm cup of chamomile tea, or scents like lavender on your pillow can help, too. Create a sleep ritual and commit to getting the sleep you need to feel energized, focused and refreshed.
Detoxing from the toxins in your life will encourage some allergies to clear up, better sleep, weight loss (toxins are stored in fat cells), better overall health, greater energy, improved immune function, glowing skin, a healthier digestive system and so much more. Happy detoxing!
Photo from here, with thanks.