We’ve all heard of “spring cleaning,” which is a time to get rid of what you no longer need, declutter, change over your closets, and get ready for longer days, more sunshine and more opportunities to enjoy the great outdoors. While spring cleaning can be a great way to get your home in shape, it’s also a great time to tune up your life to feel healthier, more energetic and happier. Here are seven areas that may need your attention after a long winter:
1. Your eating plan: Short days, holidays, vacations and travel over the last few months may have left you with winter weight gain, raging sugar cravings and some unhealthy eating habits that need to go. Want to look and feel better ASAP? Ditch the sugar and refined foods and instead opt for whole, real, nutrient-dense foods. Skip “frankenfoods” that come from a factory for foods that come from the earth. Your body will respond by happily shedding those extra pounds while giving you tons of energy, better sleep, clarity, a greater ability to focus, fewer cravings and so much more.
2. Your fitness routine: Traveling to the gym or heading outside for a workout may have been bumped from your to-do list this winter. But with the weather warming up, it’s time to either take your routine back outside, commit to going back to the gym, or committing to doing a regularly scheduled quick, fat blasting, heart pumping burst or high interval training workout program at home to get you lean and toned.
3. Your toxic environment: Toxins are everywhere. They’re in cleaning products, makeup, hair care products, detergents, tap water, plastic, and even in the air we breathe. What can we do? Go a little greener wherever you can. Maybe you don’t want to change your makeup or hair care brands, but how about changing your window cleaner, bathroom cleaner, detergent or dish soap so you remove some of those harsh and dangerous chemicals from your home? If you don’t want to invest in a home filtration system for your water, how about running it through a portable filter or using glass bottles instead of plastic? Any way you go, a little greener is a boost to your health.
4. Your relationships: Have you been spending your time with people who are critical, negative, judgmental and pessimistic? If so, you’re probably feeling drained and uninspired. How about doing a little spring cleaning when it comes to your relationships by doing a relationship check? Those who nurture, support and energize you are keepers while time spent with those “energy vampires” needs to be limited.
5. Your habits: Did you pick up a few negative habits over the last few months, like mindless snacking, that daily late afternoon loaded Frappuccino or late night drive-thru runs? Assess those habits, and if they’re moving you toward your goals, they stay. If they’re taking you further from the body, health, energy, life and lifestyle you want, let them go and replace them with habits worth keeping.
6. Your mindset: Look around the space you’re in right now. Every single thing you see around you was a thought first. Those thoughts were expressed and eventually that object (a pen, phone, computer, book, etc. ) was created. Our lives are the same way. Our thoughts create our behaviors, which create our habits, which create our lives. Take a look around: is your life where you want it to be? If not, check those thoughts and exchange them for thoughts that will move you in the direction toward the lifestyle you want most.
7. Your self-care routine: Think about how you feel when you get that mani/pedi, that great haircut or color, that massage, warm bath, or even when you take the time for that cup of tea as you settle down with a great book at the end of the day. Have you neglected your own self-care and is it showing in the way you look and feel? If so, it’s time for a self-care day (or at least a self-care few minutes!) where you take the time to refresh, rebalance and recharge. I mean, if you charge your phone at night so it’s fully charged and ready for you the next day, why should it be any different when it comes to yourself?!
How will you implement some spring cleaning when it comes you YOUR health, wellness and happiness? We’d love to know, comment and share!
Photo from here, with thanks.