Watery eyes, runny nose, sore throat, sneezing, coughing – these seasonal allergy symptoms can be miserable and really impact quality of life. They can zap your energy, affect your mood, and interrupt your sleep. Evidence suggests that pollen, mold, and other allergies will continue to get worse due to our changing climate. Fortunately, diet, lifestyle, and key nutrients can help to reduce allergic reactions and improve overall health. By addressing underlying immune system imbalances, inflammation, stress, and other interwoven factors, you can experience less discomfort and greater vitality. Below are five effective strategies for seasonal allergy relief.
1. Eat an anti-inflammatory diet. Chronic inflammation (especially GI inflammation) contributes to the severity of seasonal allergy symptoms. Diet plays a critical role in either promoting or inhibiting inflammation. Eating foods rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids helps to fight inflammation and promote healing. Examples of top anti-inflammatory foods include: plenty of organic, colorful fruits and vegetables, such as green leafy vegetables, beets, cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, kale, cabbage, cauliflower, etc.), mushrooms, sweet potatoes and berries, as well as whole grains, legumes, grass-fed animal protein, high quality dairy, fermented foods, avocados, wild salmon, olive oil, nuts, seeds, turmeric, ginger and cinnamon. Avoiding pro-inflammatory foods that are high in sugar, contain damaged fats, or are highly processed, is very important.
2. Manage stress. Stress has been shown to amplify an allergic inflammatory response and exacerbate allergy symptoms. In fact, it’s estimated that 95% of illness is either caused by or worsened by stress. Calming your mind and body is an essential part of health and well-being. Prioritizing self-care habits, such as exercising, doing breathing exercises, meditating, dancing, reading for pleasure, playing music, creating art, practicing yoga, enjoying a conversation with a friend, drinking tea, taking a bath, and expressing gratitude are great ways to help reduce stress.
3. Make restful sleep a priority. Sleep impacts every part of your health. Inadequate sleep negatively impacts immune health, increases inflammation, and triggers more allergy and asthma symptoms. Experts recommend that adults sleep between 7-9 hours per night to optimize health. Tips to improve your night’s sleep include, sticking to a sleep schedule, practicing a bedtime ritual, creating a sleep-promoting environment (ideal temperature and minimizing sound and light), avoiding electronics, and taking a relaxing bath with Epsom salts and lavender before bed. If additional support is needed, taking melatonin or a natural sleep formula before bedtime can be helpful.
4. Irrigate your nasal passages. Saline nasal irrigation has been shown to remove allergens from the nasal passages, restore moisture, and reduce sinus and nasal irritation. Using a natural nasal spray daily, such as Sinus Survival Herbal Nasal Spray, is a great way to provide fast and effective relief.
5. Supplement with key herbs and nutrients. A strong nutrient foundation can be built by taking a high quality multivitamin formula, fish oil and vitamin D daily. In addition to these core supplements, allergy specific remedies can be very effective at providing relief. These natural products are best started prior to the arrival of allergy season, however they can be started anytime to get allergy support.
• Sinus Survival Pro Biotic – This comprehensive probiotic formula supports the body’s microbiome, which is a critical part of immune system health. Probiotics also support gut health and can help manage inflammation. Take 1 capsule daily.
• Sinus Surival Allercide – A powerful combination of ingredients, including quercetin, bromelain, stinging nettles leaf, and N-acetylcysteine (NAC), to promote immune balance, sinus and respiratory health, and help clear nasal passages. Take 2 capsules up to three times daily for acute support.
• Pathway Aller-Calm – This herbal formula helps to increase resistance to environmental allergens. It can be taken before symptoms are present or taken 2-3 times daily to address allergy symptoms.
• Pathway Elderberry Plus – The herbal ingredients in this formula support immune health, have antioxidant properties, as well as anti-inflammatory, and anti-catarrhal properties. Take 1-2 capsules twice daily.
Our team of nutrition experts is here to answer your health questions and provide you with personalized guidance. Feel free to call us, send us an email, come in and visit, or schedule an appointment to receive one-on-one support. In addition, if you are looking for more helpful information and effective allergy relief and sinus solutions, visit www.sinussurvival.com.
Photo from here, with thanks.